Dana White Denies Conor McGregor’s Claim Of Return In July

0
262
UFC Conor McGregor and Dana White

Dana White has shut down Conor McGregor’s claim about a middleweight fight with Michael Chandler on June 29th.

McGregor’s return was initially planned to take place at UFC 296 in December, but it was abandoned due to the USADA refusing to show the Irishman the green light without mandatory testing. After that, rumors emerged about a potential face-off between ‘The Notorious’ and ‘Iron’ Michael at UFC 300, but that particular arrangement didn’t materialize either.

At New Year Eve, McGregor took to ‘X,’ previously known as Twitter, revealing the long-awaited matchup with Chandler.

“Ladies and gentlemen, a Happy New Year to you all. I’d like to announce the return date for myself, the Notorious Conor McGregor, for the greatest comeback of all time will take place in Las Vegas for International Fight Week on June 29. The opponent, Michael Chandler. And the weight, Mr. Chandler? 185 pounds (laughs),” McGregor said.

At the UFC 297 post-fight press conference, a reporter inquired about the rumored McGregor vs Chandler fight on June 29th at the International Fight Week. Dana White chose not to confirm the details but assured the reporter that an announcement would be made whenever the Irishman is ready to stage a comeback.

“No [on McGregor fighting in June]. When Conor’s ready to fight, you know we’ll announce it. That’s what we do,” Dana told the media. “I don’t know [on McGregor’s June return being a possibility].”

McGregor’s most recent fight at UFC 264 ended with a knockout loss due to a broken tibia, leading to a doctor’s stoppage against Dustin Poirier.

Will Conor McGregor ever make a comeback?